From Korea with Love

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Rakhi: IT’S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!

I had my last grade 5 lessons today. At the end of every class I did a little spiel about how sad I was to be leaving and how much fun I’ve had teaching the students. Since then, I’ve not been left alone! I’m like a celebrity around here anyway but now the students are being more affectionate than ever. The blackboard is covered in adorable messages telling me not to go, there are drawings and I’ve been given lots of cute letters as well. Also, this lunch time, I was cornered in my little room by about twenty grade 5 kids mauling me and begging me to speak Korean. It all started with one boy. After a lot of cajoling on his part, I spoke a few sentences. He ran off only to return with another three or four student’s in tow begging me to speak ‘one more time.’ I did my little clown act and told them that it was the last time. They left and came back with more students. Each time I said it would be the last but each time more and more students came and pleaded with me. Bless the little blighters; since I’m leaving soon I thought I’d appease them but it was endless so I finally had to run away to the staff toilets to escape them! I’m definitely going to miss them.

On Tuesday night, Joel and I went over to Hanee’s house for a farewell dinner. She taught me how to make one of my favourite Korean dishes, ‘duenjang jiggae’ which is a spicy soy bean and tofu stew. I loved spending time with Hanee outside of work, she’s really good fun. It was ace to get a one on one Korean cookery class too! Tonight, it’s our turn to say goodbye to Bo Hyun. She has been amazingly kind to us ever since we landed in Korea, I’m so grateful for all her help.

With all these goodbyes, it’s really starting to sink in that we’re going. Also, our apartment’s looking pretty bare now and doesn’t feel so much like home anymore. Last Sunday, Joel and I made a start getting rid of some of the clutter and junk. We’ve collected (though not intentionally) so many leaflets, magazines and tickets from things that we’ve done this past year. Sorting through them bought back many fond memories. We’ve done so many things. I’ve also culled a lot of my clothes and shoes which Joel is very pleased about.

And, now it’s official- we’re going to Thailand! Sam picked up our passports from the Thai Embassy yesterday and pasted in each of them is a Thai Visa! There’s no stopping us. This week may be full of final times and farewells but next week is the beginning of another adventure. I can’t wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home