From Korea with Love

Tuesday, March 27, 2007


Simon: Wow man, what a place Seoul is!! I knew it was huge too but the view from the bar at the top of the 63 building actually took my breath away. It looks more like sim city or something and after a while the number of buildings and particularly apartment blocks starts to hurt your head a bit. It's such a really interesting mix of a super modern city and an unique culture, tradition, cuisine and architecture that I'm sure there's nowhere quite like it and I'm absolutely made up that we visited. We did loads during our stay in Korea including cycling along the Han, a Warhol exhibition and rode a few roller-coasters, but my personal top three have to be seeing Park Joo-young's hat-trick in FC Seoul's 4-1 victory against local rivals Suwon, from a goal behind in the world cup stadium. Are you watching Stuart Pearce? Watching the traditional Korean performances and having an amazing meal at Sanchon in Insadong. The knife dance and the Shamanist drumming were superb and I tasted about five things that are without compare!

My personal favourite though has to be the late night Noraebang! Once Queen's “don't stop me now” was up on the screen there was no stopping us!! Full quality and proper good fun!! All this would have made for an ace holiday under any circumstances but J+R's efforts to make us welcome and that we could catch up with them both really topped it all off. Gamsa hamnida!!!!!!


Rachel: Well Si's mentioned most of the highlights but I have to say my favourites were probably hiring bikes and riding along the Han river in the sunshine (they say you never forget how to ride a bike and thank goodness it's true !!!!!!), visiting the Gyeongbokgung palace it's really beautiful, eating the unique food at Sanchon in Insadong whist watching the traditional dancing and shamanist drumming (especially as I got drummed at !!!), and last but by no means least The Noraebang! I have to say the highlight of the evening for me has to be Joel and I's rendition of The Weather Girls - 'It's Raining Men'. Hilarious. We've had such a fab holiday, Seoul is such a fascinating and colossal city, with it's own unique and quirky customs and traditions it really is unlike anywhere I've ever been. Joel and Rakhi were the perfect hosts and made us so welcome it was ace to spend time with them and take part in their adventure.


1 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Lucy Ferguson said...

Hi Folks, Great to read about your adventures. Seems like you had an ace time. A little jealous about the noreabang - I would have been in my element. Love to you all. Happy Easter and good luck to Joel for the second leg of the PSV game. Hope to see you soon if you're ever back in these parts, Lucy xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home