Joel: My new co-teacher's name is Kim Seon Yeong. She's a little older than me and she's married to a Frenchman who's a sometime actor and magician. Her English is fantastic, which is a relief after Rakhi's scare, and although she's still finding her feet, she's pretty cool and easy to talk to. It's clear she's under a bit of pressure to pull off the principal's English reveolution so I've assured I'm here to help her out in any way I can. I've actually learned a little more about the principal's plan from her this week. Apparently, he's going to hire in teachers from a private language school to run lots of after-school classes for kids whose parents can pay for them. I'm not sure where I fit into this. Seon Yeong feels it's setting up a divide between those that can afford it and those who can't (who I'll be teaching) and thinks an element of competition might develop. I'm not completely sure what she means but hope I'll just be allowed to continue my own special classes without too much interfence. Bo-Hyun told me Seon Yeong had phoned her and asked for any advice or tips and she'd said not to worry about me or teaching the kids - the only thing she needs to worry about is the principal. I think she's got it about right. He's always been generous with me but I'm well aware of how the Korean teachers regularly recieve his wrath.
All the teachers have shifted roles now so the place has a real unfamiliar feel to it. Bo-Hyun's new room is right on the other side of the school and all the old grade five teachers from my coridoor who I got to know have also disappeared. Last week I had lunch with the new grade five teachers who are all new to the school and it felt a little odd. It's almost like I've started work in a new school. I'm perhaps the only constant in a huge game of musical chairs.
The first week working with Seon Yeong has been fine. We've had to have a bit of a sort out and redecorate the room - I made a cracking A-Z wall chart and a world flags display - and the place is now a lot brighter and fun. I've also created an "Puzzle Corner" where each week we'll set a puzzle and the first student to come to us with the right answer will get a prize. I have to come up with some puzzles tonight and I'm thinking of going with the old "Going for Gold" What am I? format. How about this: What am I? I wear red. I'm from England. I've just knocked Barcelona out of the European Champions League. Cool. First one sorted then.
I've just been speaking to Rakhi's dad and it seems he's had such a great time in India this winter that, before he's even left, he's planning a return for the coming autumn. He said to me that if we wanted to visit then, he'd arrange a trip to make sure we could meet up and spend some time there together. Great news. I'm so keen to visit India when we finish up in Thailand and it would be superb if Rakhi's parents are there at the same time. It's still just an idea but I really hope we can sort it out.
This time next week Simon and Rachel will be here. I've got a feeling their heads are going to pop as they try to negotiate their way around the city, just like ours did when we arrived last May. I'm really looking forward to having them to stay. I might have been a bit premature on the "It's Spring!!! thing though. It's been snowing again this week so I'll have to call them tonight and tell them they might need their coats after all.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home