From Korea with Love

Monday, February 26, 2007

Rakhi: The past week has been full of good news. Firstly, and most importantly, WE’RE GOING TO THAILAND!! Joel and I returned on Saturday night to discover an email from the company that we applied to saying that not only do we have the job but we can attend the orientation course on the 1st or 2nd May. This was music to our ears as we were worried that we may not get the job because of the overlap of the end of our contracts here (April 30th) and the beginning of the orientation in Thailand (April 28th).

After tomorrow evening, I’ll probably never see my co-teacher again. She is leaving the school to attend a university course for 6 months. My new co-teacher will be Hani, which I am really pleased about. However, on Friday, before I was told that Hani would be my co-teacher, it was suggested that I may have a temporary co-teacher who is a friend of the principle. He is an older male who speaks NO English at all…I’m not quite sure how that one would have worked out. Needless to say, I was quite relieved when I discovered the actual outcome. Phew. Anyway, tomorrow evening, Joel and I are going out for dinner with Yeon Hae and Bo Hyun, I guess it’s a kind of farewell and the end of an era as none of us will be working together again. Oh, apart from me and Joel, we’ll be working together in the same school in Thailand! Takhliprachasan School in the province of Nakhon Sawan, Central Thailand, where we’ll be teaching teenagers aged 13-18. The adventure continues…!

The week before last, Joel led me on a mystery date. I was very intrigued as we got off at Dongdaemun station, walked up the road, into a non descript building and up some stairs. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself in a little Indian/Nepalese restaurant called ‘The Himalayan.’ I have missed my mum’s cooking so much and we have searched for a decent Indian restaurant here- but to no avail. Bless his deviousness, Joel had done his research and come up trumps. The food was delicious, lots of fresh flavours and spices. Right up my street. In fact it was so good that we did the journey again last week and may well return again this week and next week and the week after and the week after that...

On Saturday, Joel, Sam, Shane and I headed out for a day at Seoul racecourse. Even though there was a foreigner lounge with English translation and race sheets in English, I didn’t get the windfall I was hoping for. With minimum bets of 100 won (6p) and a few well placed flutters, I didn’t do too badly and managed to leave the ground having broken even. It was really good fun. After the races, we went for dinner in Itaewon to the new Marrakech Nights, another of our favourite restaurants, and then went onto a live jazz club.

This week is my final doss week before the new term begins next week. I’m doing half day English camps until Wednesday. Thursday is Korean Independence Movement Day which in 1919 marked the beginning of the, er, Independence from Japan Movement. As such, it’s a national holiday and we have the day off! On Friday, I return to school for the beginning of the new term but no doubt I’ll have no actual lessons until the following Monday. Why the school just doesn’t start up then I do not know. Administration and organization here can be very confusing, disorganised and questionable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home