Joel: Sunday, Sunday, here again. My challenge for today is to adapt segments of the Bugsy Malone playscript that I've found on the internet into a 10 minute version I can do with some of the kids at school for an upcoming arts festival. I've been given free reign and felt Bugsy Malone would be a good choice since (bizarrely) Rakhi has the soundtrack in her music collection and, of course, I've secretly always wanted to play Bugsy. I might be too old for that but now I can live out my dream through others. Ha ha! I'm sure it will be fun. Auditions are tomorrow and I've no idea how many are interested. I'm praying it won't be anything like the nightmare of choosing the special classes.
Norman Jay last night was brilliant. I''ve been really surprised by the number of top quality gigs that are put on in Seoul. Of course, it's an enormous city with plenty of punters but it does feel like we're here at exactly the right time. We missed a DJ Shadow gig recently because it was midweek but there are so many other things coming we're spoilt for choice.
On Friday night, Ryan and Kristen came over for dinner so we cooked a Mexican for them - well, I say "we", I drank wine while Rakhi cooked. They're both dead nice and Ryan phoned yesterday to say they'd agreed it was the nicest meal they'd had since they arrived in Korea...so compliments to the chef! Last weekend, I went out for dinner and drinks with teachers from my school because one of them is leaving. It was cool. I discovered a really nice bar not far from our place and a pool club which is close by too, although it's not cheap - depends how quickly you play.
I'm not sure what to expect next weekend but I'm sure it will be pretty painful. What I know is that, as part of government event to be held in a huge park, Rakhi and I will be dressing up in ridiculous costumes, teaching kids (also dressed up) a few English phrases and having our photos taken with them before waving them on their way. How many times we will have to do this I don't know. We need a cunning strategy to keep ourselves entertained. It's four hours a day for three days and I hope it passes quickly. How on earth did we get roped into it?
I'm not sure I've mentioned the appauling quality of Korean TV. There are a few highlights - namely The Donald Trump Apprentice and Project Runway, but as much as I used to moan about British TV I do miss so many of the quality programmes on BBC2 BBC3 and channel 4. I don't watch the Korean programmes but most seem to be really shoddy soaps. Of the English language transmissions available, films, on the whole, are restricted to American action flicks. There is a shocking amount of US reality TV - Fat Club, America's Next Top Model and American Idol to name but a few. And there are two channels that just show people playing computer games. Is that really entertaining? Thought-provoking? I know watching the Idiot Box is mostly a waste of your life but sometimes I'd just like to sit back and enjoy and episode of Derren Brown or Alan Partridge. We've always got the internet.
And today is Super Sunday! Chelski vs. Liverpool. I'm hoping we can get the game through the computer. Come on you Reds!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home