From Korea with Love

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Rakhi: Uh-oh! I don't know what Joel and I have let ourselves in for but we've agreed to work all next weekend. The Office of Education are holding some sort of educational event in a park in Bucheon and Joel and I were asked if we'd help out by doing some English style activities. On Thursday, we left our schools early to attend a meeting regarding this festival. We had to sit through an hour long lecture conducted entirely in Korean after which we were still none the wiser! After the meeting two Korean English teachers led us into a room to explain what would be happening. Apparently, for four hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Joel and I will be doing English role plays with little kiddies. The best bit though is that we will be in costume! I have to dress up as Snow White and Joel is going to be a pastor! Ha ha!

Last night we went to the ultra swish Lotte Hotel to see the DJ, Norman Jay. The crowd was mostly young, incredibly hip and stylish Koreans. Although it was quite pricey to get in and drinks were pretty expensive, the music was great. I love Norman Jay and going to see him at Notting Hill Carnival is always a highlight of mine. Having missed the carnival this year, I was made up to discover that he was playing in Seoul. I think it's a really exciting time to be in Korea at the moment. Only a couple of years ago, very few international musicians would tour in Korea. Now, the country is making itself known to the wider world and bands and DJ's are realising the importance of the Korean market.

On the whole, everything's going well at school, the only problem I have is with two of the grade 6 classes. Some of the kids have no interest in being at school at all. My co-teacher and I have tried various different methods to try and get the kids not only interested but to stop the noisy kids disrupting the students that do want to learn. These particular grade 6 classes behave the same way with their homeroom teachers so it's a problem that runs deaper than just English class. Every lesson without fail my co-teacher punishes the kids for being noisy, not listening to us, not listening to each other, sleeping and generally being annoying. The sad thing is that some of the students have gone back to their homeroom teacher's to say that they enjoy English but their classmates are stopping them learn. It's very unfair on them. What would the teachers in 'Unteachables' do I wonder?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home