From Korea with Love

Monday, August 28, 2006

Rakhi: Joel and I have just returned from a workout at our new gym. When we joined on Friday, the friendly, muscly trainer showed us around the machinery and suggested a routine for the two us. I have to do various arm exercises followed by half and hour or so on the running machine. Surprisingly, despite months of no exercise, I am not as unfit as I thought I was and can easily do the routine and more; I'm already starting to feel the benefits of regular exercise. How long will this last though? Watch this space...!

After joining the gym on Friday and a short workout, we had to rush home as Joel's principal was taking us out for dinner. Although these occasions with the top dog can be awkward for fear of commiting a faux pas, it was actually quite a pleasant evening. The principal clearly really likes Joel and appreciates the work that he's doing. Although times are changing in Korea, the Confucian emphasis on inequality between the genders still exists. This was noticeable at dinner when the men began a sort of drinking game whilst Debbie and I watched! The principal and the other two men at the table boasted about how much soju they could drink, asked Joel how much he could drink and proceeded to devour bottle after bottle. Although I was included in a couple of the rounds, I was told that my role was to carry Joel home if he got too drunk! As we said goodbye outside the restaurant, Joel was absolutely fine but the principal was definately swaying from side to side! However, I'm sure the men carried on drinking after we left. As it's considered antisocial to refuse a drink, Joel and I have seen plenty of Korean business men propped up against things and stumbling down the road in their suits after a night of heavy drinking with colleagues! It's quite amusing!


Last Wedenesday night we went here to the Seoul World Cup Stadium to watch Seoul v Suwon in the K-League. The stadium is very modern and enormous, I don't think it was even half full. Although there was trouble between the two teams on the pitch, off the pitch it was great to see both team's supporters sat side by side and people even cheering for both teams; something you would NEVER see in English football. There was also large groups of Seoul fans and Suwon fans sat at opposite ends of the stadium behind the goals; these were the real die hard fans.


They came equipped with flares, drums, massive flags, loud vocal chords and really added to the atmosphere. Even though there was a bit of a ruck on the pitch (dirty Suwon players handling the ref) and the score finished 1:1, it was really good fun and so cheap, only 8000 won (about a fiver). We're going again this Wednesday to watch Seoul v Pohang- this time we're going to sit behind the goal with this lot and join in the jubilant chanting.


Today was the last day of my summer camp, tomorrow proper school starts again; it's been over 5 weeks since I did a whole days work, I think my bodies going to go into shock tomorrow! I've really enjoyed doing the summer camp though, not only has it been really easy, but I've had fun with the little kids. Some of them are absolutely lovely and even the loud ones can be quite endearing. Finishing work at 12:10 everyday hasn't been bad either!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home