From Korea with Love

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Rakhi: This afternoon, Joel and I met up with Ryan and Kristen for a game of badminton. Not far from where they live, up a hill and in a park, there is an outdoor court. Although we were a bit rusty and the wind kept carrying the shuttlecock out (the main reason for our loss, honest), it was really good fun.

After cooling down and a quick wash, Ryan and Kristen wanted to take us to Costco. They've mentioned many a time how good it is for home comforts but until now, we'd never got around to going. When they told us that it was just like the Costco's in their native Canada I started wondering whether it was like the one in Manc and then I started thinking about gravy and Tropicana and Special K and cheese and other things i'm starting to miss. We weren't disappointed. Although they didn't have everything I could have hoped for and most of the products are American imports, there are certain important things (like cheese!) that are cheaper and better than in the local supermarkets. We've just been munching on 'extra zingy' cheese which is the best value cheese we've managed to find so far. It's funny to think that I left England with eight toothbrushes because I didn't know if you could get such things in Korea when in actual fact they have Costco's and Tesco's (aka Home Plus) with most of the comforts of home albeit slightly more expensive!

Since our holiday, i've been getting back into the swing of things at work. Thankfully, i've been eased into it as summer camp only runs from 9am-12:10 after which i'm free to leave. At the moment, it's too hot to work for any longer anyway; particularly since there's no air con at my school. Having finished all the grade 3 and 4 classes i'm halfway through camp now. I've tried to make it as fun as possible for the kids, as it is their summer vacation after all. For one of my grade 3 classes we had an British style birthday party. I taught the kids how to sing 'Happy Birthday to You,' made party hats, played some games and had a birthday cake. I think they really enjoyed it and I gained popularity by giving them cake!


For the last grade 4 class today, we had a Harry Potter theme day. Whilst 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' played in the background, the kids made Harry Potter glasses, did word searches, played games and did colourings. Don't these little rascals look cute in their glasses?!

So, tomorrow is Friday and the weekend is upon us again- they sure do come around fast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home