Joel: Since we returned from our trip, we've woken every morning to clicking and whirring of cicadas in the trees surrounding our building. They make such a racket that for a while I struggled to imagine what they might look like. Finally, I spotted one at the base of a tree near our main entrance. They're pretty big, but it's still crazy that they can make so much noise. I've seen kids with nets and boxes taken out by their dads to catch these critters - I think as some kind of sport rather than an envirinmental health project.
Rakhi discovered a huge insect in our flat not long ago and called me in to deal with it, claiming it was "as big as a mouse". Of course, I assumed she was exaggerating so I got quite a shock when I saw it. It had antenae as long as my fingers and was easily as large as a mouse. I fancied my chances with a large plasic bowl and a piece of card but when I tried to place the bowl on it, it sensed it with it's antenae and jumped about three feet - easily waist height. After about fifteen minutes I took a shot from across the room and luckily managed to get the blighter trapped. I'm now pretty careful to keep the fly-screens closed. I don't really want a rematch.
Friday was an absolutely gorgeous day so when we finished school at twelve we set off to find the outdoor swimming pools in the parks alongside the Han river. It's not too far on the subway - just one change then a short stroll through the park and there we were. It was great to find a bit of green space in this vast concrete metropolis and to have a swim in the glorious sunshine. We could pretend we were still on holiday. I'm not sure how long the pools stay open for - maybe just till the end of the month - so we'll have to make the most of them.
On Saturday, we night went to Cargo to see Marcus Intalex play. It's great to go out knowing the music is guaranteed to be brilliant. I've heard some pretty terrible music here. A lot of shops and bars play some odd kind of Korean Euro-dance. Truly awful. Marcus is a good friend of Rakhi's brother so we managed to get in as guests and have a chat with him before he played. I'm still suffering a little now though. Too many G&T's I think.
I've done a bit of research and found out that the secound phase of the Korean football league begins on Wednesday. Seoul FC are at home to Suwon so we're going to go and see them. Tickets are 5-7000won for behind the goal seats or 8-10000 for the main stands. That makes the most expensive ticket about 6 pounds. Compared to rip-off Britain that's a steal. And you can pay at the gate; the stadium's huge and never completely sells out. Can't wait.
Rakhi discovered a huge insect in our flat not long ago and called me in to deal with it, claiming it was "as big as a mouse". Of course, I assumed she was exaggerating so I got quite a shock when I saw it. It had antenae as long as my fingers and was easily as large as a mouse. I fancied my chances with a large plasic bowl and a piece of card but when I tried to place the bowl on it, it sensed it with it's antenae and jumped about three feet - easily waist height. After about fifteen minutes I took a shot from across the room and luckily managed to get the blighter trapped. I'm now pretty careful to keep the fly-screens closed. I don't really want a rematch.
Friday was an absolutely gorgeous day so when we finished school at twelve we set off to find the outdoor swimming pools in the parks alongside the Han river. It's not too far on the subway - just one change then a short stroll through the park and there we were. It was great to find a bit of green space in this vast concrete metropolis and to have a swim in the glorious sunshine. We could pretend we were still on holiday. I'm not sure how long the pools stay open for - maybe just till the end of the month - so we'll have to make the most of them.
On Saturday, we night went to Cargo to see Marcus Intalex play. It's great to go out knowing the music is guaranteed to be brilliant. I've heard some pretty terrible music here. A lot of shops and bars play some odd kind of Korean Euro-dance. Truly awful. Marcus is a good friend of Rakhi's brother so we managed to get in as guests and have a chat with him before he played. I'm still suffering a little now though. Too many G&T's I think.
I've done a bit of research and found out that the secound phase of the Korean football league begins on Wednesday. Seoul FC are at home to Suwon so we're going to go and see them. Tickets are 5-7000won for behind the goal seats or 8-10000 for the main stands. That makes the most expensive ticket about 6 pounds. Compared to rip-off Britain that's a steal. And you can pay at the gate; the stadium's huge and never completely sells out. Can't wait.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home