Joel: It seems the big chill is now upon us. Only two weeks ago we were out in T-shirts and sunnies and now even a jumper isn't enough. On Monday, I pulled out my coat and now wear it every day. We've turned on the ondol (underfloor) heating at home and I know this is only the beginning. A few years ago it reached -50 on a freakish winter's day in Korea. I don't think I'm quite prepared for that, but it is getting pretty chilly here already.
I know I've been a bit slack with the blog but I needed a bit of a rest after the work I put into the play and I've been busy again most nights this week. The Arts Festival at my school last Thursday was a really interesting event. Most of the 30 classes (each with 40 kids) had prepared some kind of performance or display and the typically Korean result was a day of logistical chaos. We'd worked pretty hard on Bugsy Malone and I was really pleased that the kids involved really seemed to enjoy themselves, as did the audience of students, teachers and parents. There were plenty of traditional and modern dances and songs, as well as drumming, a magic show and a group of parents doing one of those dances where you represent the music with your hands, like in 'Napoleon Dynamite' - it made me laugh. The opening of the day was also pretty memorable. After an short speech by the principal and the introduction of some special guests, the first group of dancers took to the stage. I've long known that although many Koreans enjoy western pop music, they don't always understand the lyrics so I wasn't completely surprised that, when the music kicked in, the first lyric was "I - LIKE - BIG - BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE!!!" I must have been the only person there who understood. I put my head in my hands. Suberb.
There were no problems with the Bugsy performance. I felt like John Welshman (a drama teacher of mine) as I gave them some final notes before they went on (enjoy it! etc.). For the first time there was water in the guns and shaving foam on the plates and the result was a lot of mess and a lot of smiling faces. I've since been told by a Korean teacher that no-one had seen anything like it - which was kind of my idea. Korean school plays are usually fairy stories, in fact, one class did cinderella as part of the festival. So, on the whole I'd say it was a great success, and I hope maybe I can get some extra time off at Xmas as a result. I'm just happy now to have my lunchtimes and free periods back. I'll put some photos of the day up.
I've been informed that I'm required to compete in an inter-school sports competion. It's not a request, it's a requirement. I'd be well up for it if it was football (I honestly almost wrote 'soccer' then. That's the effect of teaching Americanised English every day!) or even basketball, which is quite big here. Trouble is, it's volleyball and running. I'm not bad at running now I've got myself in decent knick, but I've never played volleyball in my life. I get the feeling great things are expected for two reasons. One - I'm young. It's an all male event and all but one of the other teachers are over forty. I'm not saying they must therefore be rubbish, I'm sure my dad would be superb, but I've seen the size of some of their waistlines. The second reason is that my friend Ryan had to compete in this thing a while back and he's now a bit of a celebrity in the area. This is partly because he played a lot of Volleyball in Canada and starred as his school won the area title and partly because most Korean folk mispronouce his name as Lyon, so very quickly a local myth grew about this incredible Volleyball player from Canada who they call "The Lion". I might have to ask him for some tips.
Apparently, the computer system in the room next to mine at school has broken down so, luckily for me, it's been turned into a table-tennis room. I've been itching to play since I found out and last period today the Home Ec. teacher (whose idea it was) came in and asked me if I'd like to play. Would I! She became my doubles partner in a game against an older male member of the maintenence staff and a young lad who kind of works as an assistant to the principal, one of the few ways military service can be avoided. There's nothing like literally beating someone at their own game so I was chuffed we came from 1-0 down to a storming 3 sets to 1 victory. They all used the eastern-style serve and could chop the ball with incredible spin. I suppose we just had the better luck. Either that, or they were thrown by my deceptively slow serve and straight-as-arrows shots. I hope no face was lost.
If the weather's nice on Saturday we're going to go hiking in the hills of Bukansan and on Sunday we have a wedding to attend. Should be a fun weekend.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home