From Korea with Love

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Joel: So... 1-0 to England. Slightly disappointing game but three points nonetheless. We found a great place to watch it. We met up with fellow Englander Kevin and friends in Sinchon and decided the Western bars in Itaewon might be the best place for the best atmosphere. The six of us took two cabs there (cabs are cheap as chips) and met in place called the 3 Alleys. Now this place was AWFUL. There were plenty of England shirts but also loads of Germans?!?! and the two rival sets were already singing and generally being hostile to each other - and this is still two hours before kick off. Also, there was nowhere to sit. So - Rakhi and I walked up the road to a bar called Jesters we had heard were showing it. To our delight the place was much quieter and a table in a prime position by the big screen was free. After informing the others, I approached the bar to get drinks and noticed the barman fiddling with his laptop. Surely not, I thought, is that not Gary Lineker on his computer screen. It was! And they were going to be showing the live BBC feed through the internet. Unbelievable. I think we've found our venue for the rest of the competition. And hopefully we'll get the cable fitted this week for the late games.

This week has been fun. Tuesday was a national holiday so I took Rakhi up to the enormous Kyobo book store where I'd bought a couple of her birthday presents. Unbeknown to me there is also a massive music section there I had walked straight past. Everything from Arctic Monkeys to The Zutons. In the evening we met up with the Canadians and went for a barbecue near to our place. We ate enough food to feed a small tribe and with drinks as well it came in at about 3pound fifty each. To cook ourselves the things we want to make at home costs more. None-Korean ingredients do cost quite a bit. Things like breakfast cereal and fresh fruit are even beyond Sainsbury's inflated prices - it's cheaper and more fun to eat in local Korean restaurants. Saying that, we've now decided to boycott the Tesco's Homeplus. Not just because of the stalking incident; it's mainly down to the prices. We've discovered a little Korean supermarket that's cheaper and closer to our place and we can get fresh fish and some veg from the local market. We've got quite into the bartering now and can get 10-20% knocked off most things there.

On Wednesday I started teaching the special classes and it went okay. I'm still trying to suss out the different levels I'm teaching but it's all good fun. Some of the stuff I've prepared they've just raced through and other things have been a bit too difficult. The special class I taught on Friday to the grade 3's and 4's was the best lesson I've taught so far. I decided to teach Feelings and after introducing the new vocab (happy, sad, angry, embarrassed etc.) and drilling them on the pronuciation of each I set up an acting competition to see if they could act out and correctly guess the different words. This is one thing I've discovered about teaching kids; a good way to keep them interested is to turn everything into a competition. They're so desperate to win it's ace. I was the same (still am!)

The task facing us this week is to make sure we can book our holidays at the same times and when we want them. With the extra lessons we're doing, we are each entitled to 36 days paid holiday and we're already planning for visits and trips. We're both going to have to be tactful and assertive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home