Joel: I'ts been such a busy week I don't know where to start. The five-day orientation proved to be great fun. Some of the lectures were quite long and a bit tedious but others were really helpful - particularly those concerned with ideas and tips for teaching kids which is something that's new to both of us. Mr Park from the office of education, who had organised the week, conducted one of the lectures. He seems a really nice guy - really friendly and uninhibited; not the like the stereotyical idea of an older Korean man at all. At one point when the computer projector was refusing to work he took it on himself to teach the whole lecture theatre of teachers the Korean world cup dance. All the moves! It was fantastic. I'm going to do it in our living room before every game of the world cup.
I've started to feel a bit of culture shock this week for the first time - spending time with Americans I mean. They really are a strange breed. Some of them were lovely but there were others who seemed intent on turning Q&A sessions into episodes of Oprah. Which got a bit boring. Ah well.
We've met some top people though. The evenings after the lectures allowed us plenty of time to check out the local hofs to drink and be merry. Also, we've now discovered some Korean food that is BEAUTIFUL. The first few days here were a bit of a disappointment food wise but we kept the faith assuming we just weren't looking in the right places. On Thurday night a group of us went down to a Korean barbecue and had galbi (beef) and sangapsal (pork). You cook the meat and veg yourself on a BBQ in the middle of your table and wrap everything in pieces of lettuce with spicy garnishes. Absolutely gorgeous! We've now got to find similar places nearby to BBQ on a regular basis.
On Thursday afternoon we were taken on a tour of a fortress in Suwon and treated to an erxhibition of Korean fighting techniques. We then climbed a nearby hill to get a great view of the wider area. It was nice and relaxing and a great change from sitting in a lecture theatre. We returned to Bucheon on Friday and took it easy for the evening after a demanding week. We went to see Mission Impossible 3 at a huge cinema round the corner from our place - in English with subtitles. We live in such an ideal location - so many things we need or want are so close to hand. I doubt we could have it any better. People we met through the week are located two hours by train from Seoul, a stones throw from the demilitarized zone. I think I'd be gutted.
Yesterday we wandered up to the electronics market at Yongsan. I've never seen anything like it. If you're after a mobile phone or MP3 player there are literally millions to chose from - new or second hand. It's housed on five floors of a huge building and spills into the surrounding streets as well. We picked up a new personal CD player with MP3 for a bargain price. When we get paid I'll be looking to get a laptop from there. I just need to find someone to take with me who knows about such things. Where are you Neal when I need you?!?!
Last night was absolutely superb. We went into Hongdae to a drum'n'bass night at a club called Cargo. A couple of guys we met in the week, Malcolm and Matthew, came down to meet us. The atmosphere there was incredible. It seems things generally don't get going here till after midnight and by one o'clock the place was rocking. Hongdae seems like an amazing area for going out. Bars and clubs stay open all through the night and there seem to be all sorts of different things going on. We picked up a flyer for a night in June where Andy James from Portishead is playing a set. I think we'll be going. Nights like this work out at about 8 quid a ticket as well so it's pretty good value.
So it's now Sunday evening and I'm preparing myself mentally for my first day as a professional teacher. I'm hoping to get a full timetable tomorrow for the working week and the academic year so that Rakhi and I can plan to have our holidays together. My co-worker, who has now niknamed herself Debbie, told me that after my brief visit to the school when we first arrived one of ther kids told her she thought I looked like Harry Potter. I'm going to expect the unexpected but I'm sure it will be great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home