Joel: Finally!!! We've made it to a PC bang - less than a minite's walk from our lovely new flat and cheap as chips at 1000 won (60p) an hour.
The last 48 hours have been amazing and also very bizarre. The flight wasn't too bad. I didn't get much sleep on the plane but was made up to find a flight radio channel that played a documentary called "The Johnny Cash Showcase" on a loop. We were met at Incheon International by a young chap from BCM holding a card with our names on it. He introduced himself as Kevin and he was to take us to our new home - but not before getting completely lost and having to stop to ask at least five people for directions. Rakhi and I were both completely knackered and were starting to feel a bit frustrated when we pulled into a small complex of flats and were greeted by our co-workers. Just when what I needed most was a shower and perhaps a bit of kip, we were told we needed to head straight to the schools since the principles were waiting to meet us.
And this was possibly the strangest experience of my life. I walked the short journey to my school with Kim, my co-worker. I'm now really shattered and on the verge of hallucinating. We cross a sandy football pitch on which a group of lads are kicking a ball about and we climb the steps up into the school building. Just inside, Kim asks me to wait one moment before knocking a nearby door and cautiously entering. I compose myself and prepare to meet the big man. Kim soon returns and asks me to follow her in.
The room is quite large; long and narrow. There is a desk to one side but most of the space is taken up by about 10-12 large leather chairs facing each other in two lines. There are two middle-aged Korean men in the room and both are looking at me. I give a shallow bow and offer them a "aneyong-haseyo" (how do you do?) but of course don't get a word of their response. They speak no english. All in all though I think the meeting goes well. On a tour of the school Kim tells me that I won't have to deal that much with the principle and his vice. She seems really nice. I think I'm going to enjoy working with her. The kids seem really friendly too - full of energy. An hour later I finally make it to bed.
Now we've had a chance to explore the local area and recover from the jet-lag I'm feeling really happy. Bucheon is a really vibrant place with loads of bars and restaurants, shops and other amenities - everything we need really. There are some funky smells about (mainly fishy pongs) but they come and go and never get too bad. We travelled into Seoul last night and it's less than half and hour on the tube. There's so much to explore here - it's all v.v.v.exciting.
So now we have the weekend to relax and improve our Korean - on Monday we begin our week's training. It might be nice to meet a few nice folk who are in the same boat as us. We shall see.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home