Rakhi: Well the last few days have been spent exploring and kitting our apartment out. The apartment is really nice- we have a spare room, a study, a decent sized living room and bedroom and brand new furniture. Our Korean co-workers from our schools are really nice and have been very helpful. There's loads to do right on our doorstep. There are plenty of traditional type places to eat, markets and bars. I think i'm really going to enjoy living here. Oh, there's also a massive 24hr 'Home Plus' aka Tesco. They have everything including cheese (though not very good and really expensive) wine and Heinz tomato ketchup. I don't think we'll be going without!
So far, we have nailed these few phrases:
annyong haseyo: Hello (informal)/ How are you?
gamsa hamnida- thankyou
annyong hagaseyo- bye
And, i'm still getting confused saying 'hello' to people when I mean 'bye' and short changing people by paying 60p when the bill comes to much more! Anyway, the language side of things is going to be a complete challenge but i'm up for it.
The strangest thing so far was when I went to meet the principal and teachers at my school. Within two hours of landing in Korea after a 12hr flight and time difference of +8 hrs, I was taken by my co-worker to my school. I was sweaty, smelly and absolutely shattered. Upon entering the school, I was told to take my shoes of and was given 'guest' shoes to wear as no one wears their outdoor shoes inside. I was then taken to the principals office to meet him. I bowed and did a 'annyong hasseyo' (which I later realised is not formal enough language for the top dog) and sat down. Then, my co-worker disappeared whilst me (who speaks no Korean) and the principal (who speaks no English) made the lamest attempt to speak to each other. These awkward moments became even more so when the two of us gave up and he started reading a paper! 5 mins later the vice principal came in and the process was repeated! I was praying for my co-worker to come back so she coud translate. Except, when she eventually did the three of them had a long converstion in Korean whilst I sat there like a spare part with an innane grin on my face. Very surreal! I was laughing on the inside!
So far so good!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home