Joel: I'm sat in my classroom on a fantastically quiet Friday morning. Yesterday afternoon, I was introduced to my new co-teacher Lee In-On (or something to that effect - I've not seen it written down). She's a recent graduate and I'm thinking this might be her first teaching position. Anyway, she seems nice. Again, in being introduced to her, it became apparent how age and status are so prominent in Korean society. I'd just wound up my G3/4 special class when Bo-yun brought her over to meet me. Her first words were, "This is the new English Teacher. She's younger than me - she's a recent graduate." It appears, in Korea, this is vital information for people to be able to work out their status in a relationship. Isn't this all a bit much? I did some reading about it last night and it seems this status stuff is completely ingrained in the language. The word for "friend", "chingu", is only used for people of exactly the same age. People call their "friends" who are older than them, "older brother/sister", and those that are younger, "younger brother/sister." It is completely out of order to call anyone older than you by their name. How nuts is that? Pretty bonkers if you ask me. And of course, it's not the fault of any individual, these ways are just completely ingrained into the fabric of society. I'm mostly exempt from abiding by them, of course, and I kind of hope the new teacher realises that she doesn't have to pander to me. It would do my head in.
The weather's been crazy again this week. Last Saturday it was stunning and too hot for a coat; Monday, it rained; Tuesday was freezing; Wednesday, it was completely clear and bright all day; yesterday, we woke up to see a layer of snow on the rooftops; and today it's so foggy, I can't see my nose. It IS getting colder though. Our herb garden isn't doing too well. I'm going to need those long-johns.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home