From Korea with Love

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Joel: Today, I was hit with a bit of a bombshell. Halfway through first period, Bo-Hyun was summoned for a talk with the principal. She returned after the lesson with some pretty miserable news. With immedite effect, she'd been asked to take over as a form teacher for a grade 6 class, leaving me to teach English alone. The old form teacher began her maternity leave two months ago, and although two replacements were found, both have caused problems. I don't know the full details but they were both older males and I know the first one was forced to leave after parents complained he'd been hitting their children. Because the school needed someone reliable and experienced fast, the job has fallen to Bo-Hyun. Of course, she has no choice about it and she was pretty upset. She'll be doing it until the original teacher returns in February. They're trying to get a temporary co-teacher in to begin working with me, as soon as they find one, but for now I'm on my own.

So it was a bit of a strange day all-in-all. As I expected, some of the kids thought it might be easier to piss about with just me taking the class. It's quite difficult to keep the attention and interest of forty rowdy kids when you speak so little of their language and they so little of yours. I was happy with the way I coped though. I only had to dish out one set of lines (for one whole class). I just hope that whoever they get in to work with me is okay. I know that some native teachers have had a difficult time with their Korean teachers but then I suppose lots of Korean teachers have to work with idiot native teachers - I've met quite a few. So really, I know I'm okay, and there's a good chance he/she will be too. Hmmmmn.

Other than that, all is well. The weeks are flying by. New discoveries include - a top new takeaway pizza place by the station, Jarvis Cocker's new album and the fact that a huge ice-skating ring is opening up at City Hall at the meagre price of 1000won (60p) per go, including skate hire. The first test of the Ashes was a disaster. I can get an audio feed from the Stan James Bookmakers website and have been listening to it at school in my free periods - trying not to get too downspirited. On Saturday, after a day making kimchi and shopping in Seoul, we headed up to Jung-Dong, not too far from our place, to meet up with Shano and Sam who are both Aussies. Luckily, and as statistically unlikely as it is, neither is that particular brand of Aussie that loves to gloat. They took us to a cool little Italian place where you can 'bring your own' wine. The food was great and we ended up in a new Candian owned bar where they take requests and download the music on the spot.

At far as the plumeting temperature is concerned, I'm okay, but Rakhi has now invested in thermals. She looks absolutely fantastic in them and I've had to nickname her "Long John Sinha". We're seeing plenty of Christmas stuff in the shops and supermarkets now and today a parcel arrived from my Nan and Grandad. I've checked all the seals and given Rakhi a stern warning not to peek. It's going to be a bit odd being away from family and friends at Christmas. We're planning on having a Christmans party at our place and will definitely be cooking a proper dinner. Also, I've already been hearing how the Christmas market in Manchester is so much bigger and better this year, so in order not to miss out, we'll be re-creating it with plenty of mulled wine and Bratwurst in our appartment. Best download some Europop remixes then. Where's that singing moose!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home