From Korea with Love

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Rakhi: OK, just to get it off my chest, let me tell you about the not so great thing about this week. On Friday, I had a bit of a run in with my co-teacher. She told me that she finds me 'too accurate' because I always question what she tells me. The reason I do this is because she is so scatty. One day she will tell me something and the next day she will tell me something different. She is quite inexperienced and as it turns out, unprofessional. She came to me later in the day and apologised to me but she really shouldn't have approached me in the way she did. Anyway, it's not a massive deal, it was just upsetting at the time. I hope she has taken the weekend to cool down.

Now down to the exciting stuff! Yesterday our mate Shane met us at the massive electronics market in Yongsan. He's a big technology geek so was the perfect person to ask along to help us pick a laptop. Neither Joel or I know where to start when looking for such a thing. Shane was great though, he knew exactly what we should get and spent a good few hours checking out different computers and making sure we got a good deal. In the end, we settled on this Hewlett Packard number that has loads of cool features including a remote for watching DVD's. I think we got a pretty good deal and as Joel and I received our first pay check on Friday we thought it was a good little investment to splash out on! So, here I sit in our little study on our new computer!

On Wednesday this week, Joel and I went out for dinner with his principal, vice principal and some of the student's mothers. It was quite a strange evening but i'll let Joel tell you more about that. Also this week, Joel and I have been trying to catch as much footy as we can. Now we have cable, it's easy to get all the games. It's not so easy to stay up and watch them though- my body clock is wrecked! The week started with the Korea v France match at 4am. This was followed the next morning at 4am by the England v Sweden game. We're four years too late- if only we'd been here in 2002!

Other than the palaver with my co-worker, school has been good fun this week. Now that i've interviewed all the kids, my extra classes have started. it's great because I can do whatever I want- so i've been playing games with the kids. With the grade 3 class I played the 'Fruit Salad' game where each child is named after a fruit. Whoever is in the middle of the circle has to make a sentence about which fruit they like and run to get a seat from the kids that are named after the fruit called out. I've done similar games in my other classes and they have all been very funny- the kids have really enjoyed them. Next week, I have a really easy week, as grades 4-6 are going camping until Wednesday. I'm going to use the free time to plan lots of my lessons in advance, it'll be a great help and hopefully give me more spare time in the weeks to come.

Tonight, Joel is taking me to a classical concert. It should be interesting, i've never been to a classical gig before. We're going to put our glad rags on and head out for dinner first- i'm really looking forward to it! Then, is the England v Ecuador game, this one's on at midnight so it shouldn't be too harsh on us! Come on England!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home