Rakhi: I've been so busy at school this week. I've had to plan and teach lots of lessons as well as interview about 150 kids for after school classes and the special class. I think my interview experience was pretty similar to Joel's. Some of the kids were brilliant whilst others couldn't even say 'hello,' I realised pretty quickly that to save my own sanity I had to just politely wave these ones goodbye as soon as they entered! Anyhow, I was really glad when Friday and the weekend rolled round again!
On Friday we met up with the Canadians Kristen and Ryan and our mates Shane and Jason. We met up in our area as there is so much to do and everyone lives close by. Shane is really sweet, I think he was concerned about my lack of female friends so he got two of his mates, an Aussie Sam and a Scouser Christine to come and meet us. They're really nice and now I don't have to bore poor Joel while I look at shoes and clothes! We had a few drinks in a little hof and then went up to this bar where there's a great view of the surrounding area. Then, Sam suggested we go to a 'norebang.' I've heard and read so much about norebangs but not been to one yet. They're singing rooms for all that don't know; the Koreans, like the Japanese are crazy about karaoke. We payed a small fee and were led into a room with a huge screen, tamborines and microphones. You select your song of choice, punch the number into a pad and sing your little heart out! It was very funny, a real blast from the 80's past!
Yesterday the weather was beautifully hot and clear, It was the perfect day to go up Seoul Tower. So go up Seoul tower we did. We got a cable car that took us up through a leafy mountain to the base of the tower. The area around the base of the tower was a plaza with shops, restaurants and outdoor decking to see the spectacular view of Seoul and the Han river. Inside the tower there was an indoor observatory deck from which the view was slightly higher. Each window in the observatory had a major city and the distance that it was from Seoul in that direction. It was strange to stand by the England window and read the phenomonal distance from us to it. Later, we tried to get up to the revolving restaurant at the very top of the tower but it was fully booked. Instead, after a lot of hassle, we managed to get seats in a bar on the outdoor deck. We sat there and watched as the sun went down and the lights of Seoul began to switch on. It was beautiful.
Today has been a proper Sunday. We had a nice lie in and then watched 'Casablanca' on our newly fitted cable TV. Most of the cable channels are pretty rubbish (because they're in Korean!) but all the world cup matches are on and occasionally a good programme and film. It doubles up as internet connection too so when we get our computer we can stop frequenting this PC bang!
The next mission, is to organise our summer holiday. We'll have about two weeks off so we've decided that we would like to travel around Korea for a week and then head to Jeju-do, an island off the southern tip which is known as the Hawaii of Korea. Very exciting!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home